’Stute knocked out

Kilmore Rec defender Peter Telford gets in the way of this shot from Institute's Joe Gray. INLS0713-136KM
Kilmore Rec defender Peter Telford gets in the way of this shot from Institute's Joe Gray. INLS0713-136KM

THIS display by Institute on Saturday simply wasn’t good enough.

In fact Kilmore Rec deservedly booked their place in the Irish Cup quarter-finals, after they showed more hunger and determination, at the Riverside Stadium to secure a 2-0 success.

The Waterside men, who certainly had an off day particularly at the back, had defender’s Graeme Taylor and John Curran both dismissed, while Gary Kennedy’s side, who too also saw red when Johnny Cheevers was sent-off late on, had a game plan which worked a treat.

The visitors got off to the perfect start after some shocking defending by experienced centre-back Paddy McLaughlin.

The defender’s terrible back pass inside his own box was well short and the alert Andrew Telford nipped in to fire low through Marty Gallagher’s legs.

Institute’s first half chance of the opening 45 minutes came ten minutes before the break when Darren McCauley’s long range shot, failed to trouble Michael McKenna and flew well off target.

Just before the break a super strike by Aaron Walsh nearly caught out McKenna, but the keeper did well to parry away the long range effort.

Despite starting the second half strongly ’Stute missed a golden chance to create a clear-cut opening on 50 minutes when Stephen Parkhouse’s attempted pass was cut-out on the edge of the box and Kilmore broke straight up the other end to all but end the tie.

From the slick counter-attack Andrew Telford broke in-behind Taylor and the left-back stupidly brought down the striker inside the box, leaving referee Tim Marshall with no option but to award a penalty and send off the left-back.

Defender Stephen Douglas made no mistake with the resulting spot-kick his side footed effort found Gallagher’s bottom right hand corner, despite the keeper’s best attempts at trying to keep the ball out.

Institute’s terrible day got even worse when John Curran was rightfully shown a straight red card by Marshall after his poor challenge on Andrew Telford.

Kilmore went close to adding a third when again on the counter-attack they easily got in behind the ’Stute back-line, this time Philip Traynor got away from substitute Declan McKeever, but his shot was well saved by Gallagher.

In the closing stages Kilmore were reduced to ten men when Cheevers was shown a second yellow card followed by a red for dissent and the Drumahoe men rattled the woodwork moments later when Walsh’s free-kick from 20 yards, which had McKenna well beaten, came crashing back off the crossbar.

Institute: Gallagher, Gray, McLaughlin, Curran, Taylor; McCauley, Crown, Walsh; McCrudden, Parkhouse, Semple. Subs: Mullan, McFadden & McKeever for Parkhouse, Semple & Gray (57); Hume & McClay (not used).

Kilmore Rec: McKenna, Douglas, Holland, Cheevers, Miskelly; Lewis, McCauley, P Telford, Curran; A Telford, Traynor. Subs: Hardy for P Telford (67); Larkin & Bell for Miskelly & Curran (74); Kennedy & Murray (not used).

Referee: Tim Marshall (Irvinestown).

Cautioned: Semple (44); McCauley (52); Cheevers (61 & 90); Douglas (66).

Sent-off: Taylor (50); Curran (53); Cheevers (90).