Same old story different day, as Institute narrowly lose

Bangor midfielder Andy Long tackles Institute's Aaron Harkin during Saturday's game. Picture by Kevin Scott/Presseye
Bangor midfielder Andy Long tackles Institute's Aaron Harkin during Saturday's game. Picture by Kevin Scott/Presseye

Possession stats and shots on goal will show Institute dominated things at Bangor, but they once again finished a game pointless.

Worryingly for boss Kevin Deery that despite getting into a host of super positions their final ball in the last third of the pitch let them down.

On a number of occasions particularly in the first half Shane McGinty got in behind his marker but his cross into the box was easily cleared at the near post, while some last ditch tackles meant a through ball was cut out.

Then just when the game looked to be settling down and ending in a scoreless draw Mark Cooling’s wonderful free-kick on 69 minutes won the points for the Seasiders.

The home side went close on seven minutes when Andy Morrow’s low drive from the right hand side of the box was superbly tipped around the post by Michael Lynch.Cooling started to get some shooting practice when he went close on 24 minutes this time his free-kick was saved by Lynch.

The woodwork came to the visitor’s rescue six minutes later when Cooling’s free-kick from the edge of the box, which had Lynch scrambling, hit the post.

After those scares Stute started to come more and more into the game and a neat move on 36 minutes ended with Garbhan Friel’s strike flashing just wide.

Soon after a super pass by Aaron Harkin released Robbie Hume, but just as the ball fell to the striker on the edge of the box he bizareely turned back and the chance was gone.

Moments later Mark Scoltock missed a golden opportunity to break the deadlock when Aaron Harkin’s left wing corner found the big centre-back but he somehow headed wide from six yards.

Early in the second half Richard Gibson headed wide on after Andy Long right wing centre had picked out the substitute.

A slick move by Bangor ended with Gibson blazing over from 12 yards after Morrow’s cut-back from the right hand side had picked him out perfectly.

On 64 minutes Long run and effort from the right shot saved by Lynch.

The winning goal came four minutes later in super fashion as it was a case of third time lucky when Cooling’s 25 yard free-kick flew into top left hand corner giving Lynch no chance.

To their credit Stute pushed forward in search of a deserved equaliser but substitute Dean Curry saw his glancing header flash just wide after another Harkin corner had caused problems for Bangor.

Then on 75 minutes Aaron Harkin should have levelled things when the midfielder played a super one two with Jordan Armstrong but after getting in behind the Bangor defence his shot from the right hand side of the box was saved by Chris Johns.

That Harkin chance was probably the best last real chance of the game, much to the disappointment of the Drumahoe men.

Bangor: Johns, Beattie, Youle, Wray, Nixon, Walsh, Long, Cooling, Morrow (Boylan 71), McDowell (Gibson 14), McMullan (Lucas 69).

Institute: Lynch, Crown, Scoltock, O’Donnell; Dunne (Curry 70), C Harkin, A Harkin, Armstrong, McGinty; Hume, Friel.

Referee: Mr Shane Andrews (Comber).