Penalty shoot-out joy for United

NEWBUILDINGS United produced a tremendous come-back to secure this season’s North West Senior Cup, after a 5-3 penalty shoot-out win, at Institute last night (Tuesday).

Wednesday, 30th October 2013, 12:35 am
Newbuildings celebrate their won in the final of the North West Senior cup, played at the Riverside Stadium, defeating Institute in a penalty shoot-out. INLS 4513-508MT.

Trailing 2-0 after half-hour, two quick goals from Stephen Wallace and Ricky Lee Dougherty meant the sides were level and could not be separated and the tie went to penalties, with experienced midfielder Gregory McIvor tucking home the winning spot-kick.

Institute broke the deadlock on seven minutes when Michael McCrudden’s left wing cross found Stephen Parkhouse, but his close range header was superbly saved by Corey Wilson, but Aaron Walsh was on hand to turn home the loose ball.

Minutes later the visitors had a super chance to level things when Ricky Lee Dougherty broke in behind ’Stute captain Paddy McLaughlin, but with his weaker left foot failed to trouble Michael Doherty and fired well wide.

United continued to press forward after their early set-back and they went close again on 20 minutes but Stephen Wallace’s close range header from John Elliott’s left wing corner flew just over Doherty’s bar.

On 27 minutes Wilson came to his side’s rescue as at full stretch the keeper, who is on loan at United from ’Stute, got down well to tip away McCrudden’s 25 yard free-kick.

Soon after Institute did double their lead on 30 minutes when McCrudden’s right wing corner found Matthew Crossan who rose well and headed home past Wilson from 10 yards.

Gary Simpson’s side kept their heads up and scored twice in five minutes to deservedly level things.

Firstly in super fashion they pulled one back when Dean Curry’s defensive splitting pass released his brother Stephen and he calmly drove the ball past the out-rushing Doherty.

United netted again on 35 minutes this time Stephen Curry nipped in to head past the out-rushing Doherty, after Crossan was initially caught out, but the winger’s shot on the slide came back off the post and the alert Dougherty was on hand to blast home the loose ball from a tight angle.

Institute were reduced to ten men at half-time when Walsh was taken out of the changing room and shown a straight red card by referee David Walker. The midfielder had an altercation as both teams were leaving the field after the half-time whistle had been blown.

The home side had a golden chance to regain the lead on 47 minutes after McCrudden’s right wing cross found Parkhouse but after rising above Graham Moore, the big striker headed over from eight yards.

Dougherty went close to giving Newbuildings the lead on 60 minutes but after picking up possession from Stephen Curry, his 20 yard strike after cutting inside from the right, was straight at Doherty.

On 83 minutes the home side had a super opportunity to win the game when McCrudden played a clever one-two to set Darren McCauley clear inside the United penalty box, but from a tight angle the midfielder fired just wide.

Right at the death Dougherty went close to scoring when a swift counter attack by the visitors saw the striker get some space inside the box, but his close range shot was kept out by Doherty.

Neither side created much in extra-time and the final would be decided by penalties, when Crossan blasted his spot-kick well over Wilson’s bar, McIvor calmly fired home United’s fifth penalty, to spark wild celebrations with the large travelling Newbuildings supporters.

Institute: Michael Doherty, Graham Crown, Paddy McLaughlin, Matthew Crossan, Colm McLaughlin; Gary Henderson, Sean Reilly; Darren McCauley, Aaron Walsh, Michael McCrudden, Stephen Parkhouse. Subs: Andy Devlin for Crown (H-T); Declan McKeever for Reilly (72); Tom Carlin for McCrudden (102); Robbie Hume & Stephen O’Donnell (not used).

Newbuildings United: Corey Wilson, Grant Buchanan, Graham Moore, Dean Curry, Garth Falconer; Stephen Curry, Wesley Ferguson, John Elliott; Richard Lynch, Steven Wallace, Ricky Lee Dougherty. Subs: Gregory McIvor for Elliott (67); Jason Moore for Buchanan (97); David Scanlon for S Wallace (105); Kenny King & Ryan McCloskey (not used).

Referee: Mr David Walker (Ballymoney).

Cautioned: Henderson (50); McCrudden (71); Falconer (97).

Sent-off: Walsh (H-T).