NW FOOTBALL: Greysteel finally get first league win of the season

Cormac Quigley, Roe Valley Reserves, and Mark Robb, Foyle Wanderers Reserves, contest this high ball. INLS4415-121KM
Cormac Quigley, Roe Valley Reserves, and Mark Robb, Foyle Wanderers Reserves, contest this high ball. INLS4415-121KM

Drummond United’s away day woes continued last weekend as they lost 3-1 to league strugglers Greysteel, at the Vale Centre, on Saturday.

With zero points after four games, the odds were highly stacked against Dessie Moore’s men, as they took on a dangerous looking Drummond side fresh from a draw a few weeks ago with league leaders, Lincoln Courts.

From thestart Greysteel had their backs against the wall and goalkeeper Daryl Moore was called into action early on, clawing a chance off the line after a few minutes.

They settled however and saw themselves in front, when a route one ball found its way in behind the Drummond defence and was coolly dispatched by Jordan Moore on a half volley from close range.

The goal came as a shock to the livelier Drummond side who looked for an immediate response, and almost got it when Caolan Doherty beat the Greysteel offside trap but was met by goalkeeper Moore, who was quickly off his line.

The deficit soon increased just after the half hour mark.

A shot cannoned off the post creating confusion in the Drummond box, before Jordan Moore once again made no mistake firing home past a frustrated Drummond goalkeeper Robert Ewing.

Ewing did well to get his hands to the ball and there was some debate whether the ball had indeed made it across the line but referee Paul McLaughlin deemed it had, much to the dismay of the Drummond staff.

With Drummond now urgently chasing the game, Greysteel sat back inviting pressure and hit them on the counter attack.

On 55 minutes they all but sealed the deal when Kevin McGinnis’ powerful shot from the edge of the box flew into the net making it 3-0 to the Vale Centre men.

To their credit the visitors kept up the battle and held much of the possession in the second half.

Their day was summed up however when a loose ball managed to ricochet through the Greysteel defence, falling kindly at the feet of Mark Averill who one-on-one with the Greysteel keeper, blasted over the bar.

On another day it could have been a very different score line, but Drummond lacked that killer instinct in front of goal they have displayed in previous games this season.

They did manage to grab a late consolation goal; captain Jimmy Crockett converted from just inside the box in the 85th minute but it proved too little too late for the Roesiders.

It will be back to the drawing board for Paddy McGonigle’s men this week.

As for his counterpart Dessie Moore, his boys showed a lot of character and promise for a team who were sitting pointless and rock bottom.

A deserved and valuable three points won for the Vale Centre men.