NW FOOTBALL: Drummond fight back to make it four in a row

Drummond United's player/manager Ian Crockett played his part in their impressive win over Lisahally.
Drummond United's player/manager Ian Crockett played his part in their impressive win over Lisahally.

Drummond United continued their winning form this weekend, coming back from an early Lisahally blitz to secure a 4-2 victory.

Playing their last league game of the season, Lisahally got off to a flyer, as they attempted to cement their position in third, going a goal ahead after only two minutes.

Winning a free kick on the edge of the semi-circle, Brian Devine stepped up to float the ball over the wall and past a sprawling Millar in the United goal to give Lisahally a very early lead.

They almost extended that lead moments later when a 25-yard grass-cutter from Davy Kennedy came just inches wide off the post.

On the 15 minute mark, with Drummond still not fully awake, the away side managed to get a second.

A powerful run by striker Jarleth Canning ricocheted its way through Drummond’s last line of defence and into the back of the net.

It however proved to be the wakeup call United desperately needed.

From the restart, a one-two with Ian Crockett afforded Paul McGonigle space and time in the box to drill the ball off the post before coolly tapping in the rebound.

From desperate position it was suddenly game on at Drummond Park.

With ten minutes remaining of the first half the resurgent United found themselves level.

On the break from defending a corner, Crockett released Jamie McElwee, who got a vital touch past the Lisahally goalkeeper Joe Robertson at the edge of his box and chipped the ball into the back of an empty net.

Going into the second half it was clear that Lisahally were going to rue their wastefulness in the opening 20 minutes. Moments after the kick off Drummond got themselves the lead.

A well worked corner was flicked in at the near post by left back Eoighan Rodgers as the Lisahally defence stood froze to the spot.

It was end-to-end from that point on until Lisahally seemed to completely switch off around the 55 minute mark.

The home side bombarded the away end with a flurry of chances, hitting the post twice and forcing Robertson into an impressive double save from close range.

United controlled the remainder of the game. Displaying some impressive passing and build up play, they were a complete contrast to the side that started off the day.

They eventually got their two goal cushion to seal the deal by the 83rd minute with a strike just outside the box from player manager Crockett.

A bit of an anti-climax for Lisahally after a solid league campaign. With games in hand for Drummond and Lincoln Courts, they could find themselves in fifth place come the end of the season.

Drummond on the other hand have a chance of claiming that third spot after four wins on the trot and they have games in hand over both Lincoln Courts and Lisahally.

Drummond United: David Millar, Michael Lynch, Davitts McIvor, Aaron Heaney, Andrew Millar, Eoighan Rodgers, Jamie McElwee, Jamie Mills, Jason Holmes, Ian Crockett, Paul McGonigle. Subs: Liam O’Kane Jonny Watton.

Lisahally: Joe Robertson, Kieran McGlinchey, Brian Devine, Ciaran Toland, Seamus Ferry, Aidy O’Kane, Davy Kennedy, Mark Duffy, Jarleth Canning, Nathan McNerlin, Shan Whoriskey. Subs: Declan Burns