Kee’s side pay dearly for poor first half display

Dungannon Swifts striker Gary Liggett heads home their opening goal at Institute tonight. Picutre by Lorcan Doherty/
Dungannon Swifts striker Gary Liggett heads home their opening goal at Institute tonight. Picutre by Lorcan Doherty/

Institute’s hopes of closing the gap at the foot of the Premiership table was dealt a massive blow after going down 2-1 to fellow strugglers Dungannon Swifts.

The defeat means they have now gone 14 league games without a win and once again poor defending cost them dearly.

The loss sees Stute stay at the foot of the table and they have moved seven points behind Darren Murphy’s men.

The first chance of the match came on 14 minutes but Gary Liggett’s snap shot from the edge of the box was pushed around his left hand post by a diving Institute goalkeeper Saul Deeney.

The deadlock was broken on 17 minutes when more poor defending from a set-piece cost the home side, as Matt Hazley’s corner found an unmarked Gary Liggett who headed home from two yards.

Swifts contined to look the more threatening with Jamie Douglas’ deflected effort on 29 minutes taking a deflection on its way past Deeney’s left hand post.

Liggett doubled the visitors’ lead on the half hour mark in super fashion when he controlled Kris Lowe’s long ball before blasting home from the left hand side of the penalty box.

From Paul Kee’s point of view he will be bitterly disappointed in the poor way his side conceded both goals.

Institute’s first real chance came on 43 minutes but Stephen O’Donnell’s cross cum shot just inside the box, from Dean Curry’s tremendous pass, was inches away from Darren McFadden.

A minute later McFadden’s 25 yard drive was easily gathered by Swifts keeper Andy Coleman.

Stute needed to be better in the second half and they were.

Institute pulled one back on 56 minutes thanks to in-form striker Robbie Hume; he latched onto Stephen Curry’s tremendous cross field pass, before getting away from Douglas Wilson on the bye-line and drilling the ball low past Coleman.

Just after the hour mark Stephen Curry got away from his marker but his low drive from the left hand side of the box was kept out by Coleman.

Minutes later the woodwork denied the home side when Hume’s inswinging corner from the right found a diving Graham Crown, but his mis-timed header bounced up and hit the bar, before David Armstrong cleared the loose ball.

On 75 minutes substitute Michael McCrudden was inches away from levelling things but his low drive some 15 yards out from the right hand side of the box fizzed just past Coleman’s right hand post, after the Waterside man had picked up possession from Hume.

Coleman came to his side’s rescue moments later when diving low he kept out McCrudden’s close range strike, after Stephen Curry’s pace and composure had created the chance.