IRISH LEAGUE: Niall is Stute’s saving ‘Grace’

Institute's Niall Grace fired home their winner against Dergview.
Institute's Niall Grace fired home their winner against Dergview.

Institute 2-1 Dergview

Institute finally got their first win over Dergview in two seasons, at the fifth attempt.

The visitor’s missed a host of clear cut chances in the first half and in the end a better display after the break from Kevin Deery’s side, earned them the points.

Goals from Michael McCrudden and Niall Grace cancelled out Ryan Campbell’s opener, however the Drumahoe side have to thank Marty Gallagher for the win.

The keeper made a host of top drawer saves in the opening 45 minutes, to keep his side in the game.

The Waterside men went close on three minutes, as Aaron Harkin’s right wing free-kick was flicked on by Stephen O’Donnell at the near post, but Grace was unable to turn home the loose ball.

The visitors took the lead on 20 minutes when Harkin lost possession some 20 yards from goal and the ball fell perfectly to Ryan Campbell, who made no mistake firing the ball high into the net.

Stute went close to levelling things virtually straight away but McCrudden’s shot on the half-volley from just inside the box, flashed inches past Stefan McCusker’s left hand post.

Dergview missed a glorious chance on 36 minutes after Campbell’s shot fell perfectly to Philip Wallace, but his close range strike was saved by Gallagher.

Moments later Wallace missed an even better chance when Darryl McDermott’s missed clearance fell perfectly to the striker, but after racing clear and only Gallagher to beat, he somehow dragged his shot wide of the target.

This game should have been wrapped up by half-time, as Dergview missed another clear cut chance.

This time substitute Ivan Sproule raced down the left before feeding Campbell, but his strike from point blank range was saved by Gallagher.

Those missed chances came back to haunt the visitors as the Drumahoe men levelled things on 44 minutes; Raymond Foy’s clever flick inside the box found McCrudden and he blasted home from 12 yards, in off the crossbar.

Institute were inches away from taking the lead on 48 minutes after McIntyre’s cross was only half cleared by a diving McCusker and Andy Devlin’s stinging drive from the edge of the box, came back off the crossbar.

Soon after Sammy Morrow got half a yard away from Matthew Buchanan, but the Stute striker’s shot from the right hand side of the box, was superbly kept out by McCusker.

With their tails up Kevin Deery’s side took the lead on 54 minutes; McIntyre’s right wing cross to the back post found Darryl McDermott, his powerful header fell to Grace and he drilled the ball home from close range.

Just before the hour mark, McCrudden’s delightful pass released right-back Devlin, who found himself in unfamiliar territory after getting in behind the Dergview defence, but keeper McCusker did well to come off his line to deny the defender.

In the closing stages, Richard Clarke’s men kept pumping high balls into the Stute box, but the home side dealt with them to claim a massive three points.

Institute: Gallagher, Devlin (Scoltock 85), O’Donnell, McDermott, R Morrow; McIntyre (Pomeroy 78), Foy, Harkin (Jarvis 55), McCrudden; Grace, S Morrow.

Dergview: McCusker, Walsh, Buchanan (Robinson 90), Wray, Falconer; Arkinson, Burns, Ballard, Cashel (Sproule 28); Wallace (Lecky 62), Campbell.

Referee: Shane Andrews (Comber).