IRISH CUP: Institute lose at Rangers

Carrick Rangers' Aaron Harmon and Institute's Robbie Hume in action in the Irish Cup fifth-round clash at Taylor's Avenue. Photo: Presseye
Carrick Rangers' Aaron Harmon and Institute's Robbie Hume in action in the Irish Cup fifth-round clash at Taylor's Avenue. Photo: Presseye

Institute’s miserable season continued as their Irish Cup campaign ended at in-form Carrick Rangers.

Leading two minutes from time thanks to Darren McFadden’s 76 minute strike, goals from Anthony Lagan, Miguel Chines and Adam Dick ensured the home side secured a 3-1 victory after extra-time.

The visitors brought in Stephen O’Donnell and Michael McCrudden with Peter Bradley and Paddy McLaughlin both dropping to the bench.

Paul Kee’s side had a good half chance on two minutes when Robbie Hume broke the offside trap, but his cut-back attempt to McCrudden from the left hand edge of the box was saved by Rangers goalkeeper Brian Nelson.

The Waterside men’s keeper Martin Gallagher was called into action moments later when he kept out Chines’ free-kick.

Gallagher should have been beaten on 19 minutes but Kyle Cherry somehow failed to trouble him and blasted wide from 12 yards, after Conor McCloskey’s cut-back had picked out the unmarked midfielder.

The action continued a minute later this time down the other end when Nelson did well to keep out Stephen Curry’s goal bound shot from the right hand side of the box and McCrudden picked up the loose ball inside the box, but dragged his shot well off target.

The woodwork came to the home side’s rescue on 55 minutes when Hume’s right footed strike from just inside the box and McCrudden’s follow-up volley was amazingly kept out by Nelson.

Moments later a super latch ditch tackle by Aidan Watson denied Duwayne McManus a certain goal, after the midfielder fired over from close range after Hume’s centre had created the chance.

Institute took the lead on 75 minutes following a slick move which started with McManus’ pass finding Hume and his cut-back from the left found McFadden, who made no mistake at the near post firing home from close range.

Rangers levelled things on 88 minutes when Chines’ in-swinging corner from the right was on top of Gallagher and substitute Lagan headed home from close range.

In stoppage time McFadden had a glorious chance to win the tie in stoppage time but with only Nelson to beat, the striker’s right footed effort from eight yards was saved by the Rangers net-minder.

Early in extra-time an awful free-kick by Aaron Walsh gifted the possession to Jody Lynch his first time pass found Chines and he calmly lobbed the ball over a stranded Gallagher from the edge of the box.

The home side sealed their place in the quarter-finals when substitute Adam Dick made no mistake after Ryan Kane’s long range free-kick could only be pushed out by a full stretched Gallagher.

Carrick Rangers: Nelson, Kane, Traynor, Taggart, Kelly, Watson (Lagan 85), Harmon, Cherry (Lynch 85), Chines, Roy, McCloskey (Dick 67).

Institute: Gallagher, Crown, O’Donnell, D Curry, McKeever; S Curry, McManus, Walsh (Forker 105), Hume (Bradley 105); McCrudden (Burke 105); McFadden.

Referee: Mr Andrew Davey (Bangor).