Institute second half goal blitz ‘Recs’ Kilmore

Striker Gareth Brown blasted home Institute's opening goal against Kilmore Rec, in Saturday's Intermediate Cup tie.
Striker Gareth Brown blasted home Institute's opening goal against Kilmore Rec, in Saturday's Intermediate Cup tie.

Institute warmed up for their Craig Memorial Cup Final with an empathic 9-0 win over Kilmore Rec, in the Intermediate Cup.

Kevin Deery side’s incredibly could have won this tie by a far bigger margin.

Institute took the lead on 15 minutes when Garbhan Friel feed the ball across from the right to Gareth Brown, who was afforded too much time on the edge of the box, and the striker made no mistake drilling the ball home.

Carville made a wonderful save just after the half-hour mark when at full stretch he tipped away Aidan McCauley’s super 20 yards left footed volley.

Defender Mark Scoltock was denied by the woodwork on 36 minutes this time the big centre-back’s header from Brown’s corner clipped the bar.

Minutes later Brown missed a sitter this time from close range his tame right footed effort was kept out by the over worked Carville.

The visitors had a half chance early in the second half but Lawrence McGonigle’s header was saved by Michael Lynch.

Institute doubled their lead on 50 minutes after a terrible goalkeeping error by Carville.

Friel’s curling centre from the right into the six yard box was dropped by the Kilmore keeper and the Ciaron Harkin was on hand to turn home the loose ball.

A third was added on 56 minutes when Brown side footed home from close range, after Sean Roddy’s inch perfect cross had created the chance.

Just after the hour mark more super play by Roddy ended with his cut-back finding substitute Shane McGinty and he made no mistake from close range.

McGinty scored his a wonder goal two minutes later on 65 minutes when he skipped around a few challenges before rounding Carville and side footing home into the empty net.

Harkin added his second and Institute’s sixth goal on 71 minutes after he turned the ball home from 10 yards.

McGinty completed his hat-trick on 75 minutes when he latched onto a loose ball inside the box, before calmly slotting the ball home past Carville.

Roddy capped off his man of the match display on 79 minutes when he scored his first goal of the season, blasting home past Carville.

Kilmore’s terrible day finally came to an end on 83 minutes when substitute Ryan Varma completed the rout.

Institute; Lynch, Roddy, O’Donnell, Scoltock (Crown 54), Morrow; McIntyre, McCauley, A Harkin (McGinty 54), C Harkin, Brown (Varma 56); Friel.

Kilmore Rec: Carville, McGrattan, Miskelly, Bell (McMullan 81), Larkin, McGonigle, Montgomery (McStay 87), Hardy, Johnston, Denvir, Stewart (McClements 78).

Referee: Mr Garvin Taggart.