INSTITUTE: Second half comeback sinks teenagers

Institute under-17's Josh Wilson races past Carniny defender Dylan Hull. INLS1316-110KM
Institute under-17's Josh Wilson races past Carniny defender Dylan Hull. INLS1316-110KM

Institute’s U17 suffered a disappointing 2-1 home defeat to Carniny U17, in NIBFA Subway National Youth League.

Gary Fower’s teenagers played well for large parts but it was their finishing which let them down, at Drumahoe this evening.

First team boss Kevin Deery certainly has one or two players who will be pushing for a place in his squad in the not too distant future.

Centre-back Jordan Killen looks a fantastic prospect, while winger Reece Kincaid also looks a Stute player for the future.

The home side started on the front foot and they went close on 15 minutes but striker Tyler Deighan, who had showed super skill on the edge of the box to create chance, fired wide with his weaker left foot.

Minutes later Deighan turned provider this time his inch perfect right wing centre found the impressive Kincaid, but the left winger headed over from close range.

Carniny would have taken the lead on 22 minutes but for some tremendous defending by Killen.

Striker Peter Rankin broke the offside trap but a super last ditch tackle by the big centre-back denied the number nine a certain goal.

A minute later that missed opportunity came back to haunt the visitors as Stute deservedly took the lead.

Kincaid showed great determination to block Cormac Lemon’s clearance inside the box, before calmly slotting the ball in-off the post past keeper Gareth Kealey.

Early in the second half Josh Wilson missed a glorious chance to double Stute’s lead when after he won possession on the edge of the visitor’s box, the attacking midfielder saw his close range effort saved by the out-rushing Kealey.

On 56 minutes Todd Anderson was unlucky not to increase the lead as his 20 yard pile driver was well kept out by diving Kealey.

Moments later the lively Wilson had another clear cut opening when he broke clear inside the box, but his well hit half volley from 10 yards, which had Kealey beaten, hit the side netting.

Carniny undeservedly drew level on 61 minutes when Conor Doherty’s teasing right-wing free-kick into the six yard box, was bundled over the line by an unmarked Cahair Henderson from close range.

For all their good play and dominance those missed chances nearly came back to haunt the home side, as the visitors should have went in front on 68 minutes.

Rankin, who caused the Stute defence problems all night, found himself with space inside the six yard box, but he blasted well over.

To their credit Carniny kept pushing forward looking for a winner and they got it on 78 minutes when Doherty showed super composure on the edge of the box, before side footing home despite keeper Jack Holland’s best attempts.

Institute U17: Jack Holland, Brad Connor, Marc Smallwoods, Mark Ferguson, Christopher Cloete, Jordan Killen, Reece Kincaid, Todd Anderson, Jamie Curry, Tyler Deighan, Niall Hargan, Jordan Campbell, Steven Burnett, Aodhfin Barbour, Andrew McAfee, Josh Wilson.

Carniny U17: Gareth Kealey, Cahair Henderson, Dylan Hull, Matthew McComb, Cormac Lemon, Curtis McVeigh, Stephen Greer, James McDonnell, Peter Rankin, Conor Doherty, Bailie Young, Aaron Johnston.

Referee: Mr Barry Maxwell.