INSTITUTE: Four goal thriller at Drumahoe

Institute's Aaron Harkin fired home their third goal against Donegal Celtic.
Institute's Aaron Harkin fired home their third goal against Donegal Celtic.

Institute picked up a massive three points in what can only be described as a crazy game against Donegal Celtic.

Kevin Deery’s side, who had two men sent-off - Garbhan Friel and Robbie Hume - missed a host of chances before in the end, securing a deserved 3-1 win.

DC also had a man dismissed when Paul Brown was shown a straight red card by referee Stephen Wallace.

Institute had a glorious chance on five minutes when a mis-placed pass by Marty Bradley only picked out Gareth Brown, but the striker saw his drive from 12 yards saved by DC goalkeeper Sean McIhone.

Minutes later Brown missed an even better chance, this time Hume, who originally rounded McIlhone but took the ball too far, cut it back to the ex-Ardmore man, but he side footed wide from close range.

On 19 minutes a Ciaron Harkin free-kick from the right wasn’t cleared by the visitors, but Friel couldn’t keep his close range effort down and the ball flew over.

On 43 minutes the Belfast men were reduced to ten men when Paul Brown was shown a straight red card by referee Wallace, for an off the ball incident.

Institute had another chance just before the break but Shane McGinty’s close range effort from Harkin’s delivery was saved by McIlhone.

Kevin Deery’s side made a change at the break with striker Jordan Armstrong replacing midfielder Aidan McCauley.

The Waterside men missed another super opportunity on 50 minutes when McGinty’s cross found Stephen O’Donnell at the back post, but the big defender saw his shot saved after he brought the ball down inside the six yard box.

Soon after amazingly Institute missed another gilt-edged chance but Armstrong’s close range strike was saved by McIlhone.

The deadlock was finally broken on 56 minutes when Harkin’s free-kick from the left found O’Donnell at the back post and he hammered the ball home from close range.

DC levelled things on 73 minutes when substitutes Michael Henderson and Ryan Dunlop combined, with the latter rounding Stute goalkeeper Michael Lynch, before side footing home into the empty net.

Two minutes from time Institute were reduced to nine men after Friel and Robbie Hume were both shown straight red cards after a melee.

To their credit the home side won themselves a penalty a minute later when Jamie Dunne was brought down by Marty Bradley, referee Wallace pointed to the spot and Harkin made no mistake firing home from 12 yards.

Institute wrapped the points up in stoppage time on the counter-attack when substitute Aaron Harkin made no mistake, firing home past McIlhone.

Institute: Lynch, Crown, O’Donnell, McDermott, Morrow; McCauley (Armstrong H-T), C Harkin, McGinty (A Harkin 76); Hume, Friel, Brown (Dunne 69).

Donegal Celtic: McIlhone, Rosborough, M Shannon, Hughes, Bradley, Devine, Atkinson, B Shannon (Dunlop 60), Brown, Lynch (Henderson), Smith (Curley 11).

Referee: Mr Stephen Wallace (Londonderry)