INSTITUTE: Deery’s side teach Students a lesson in cup victory

Institute's Robbie Hume fired home a stunning free-kick to break the deadlock at Queen's on Saturday.
Institute's Robbie Hume fired home a stunning free-kick to break the deadlock at Queen's on Saturday.

Two first half goals from Robbie Hume and Jamie Dunne ensured Institute easily defeated Queen’s 2-0 and in doing so booked their place in the Intermediate Cup last 16.

In truth the Waterside men, who started with a 3-5-2 formation, should have scored a few more goals as they never looked back following Hume’s wonderful opener on 19 minutes.

Trio Dunne, Shane Brennan and Aaron Jarvis, who are all products of the club’s youth system, were super throughout, with young Jarvis just shading it to the man of the match accolade.

Jarvis started the game in midfield sitting in front of the back four before slotting into right-back after Mark Scoltock was substituted at half-time with a neck problem and in both positions the teenager shone.

Another man who did very well for Kevin Deery’s side was Gareth Brown, who came off the bench to replace Stephen Mills just after the hour mark and his front foot approach meant he always looked lively up front.

As for the Students at times they played some neat football with Noel Corrigan showing some nice touches, but in truth they never really threatened goalkeeper Marty Gallagher.

Stute deservedly took the lead on 19 minutes in superb fashion when Hume, who was initially fouled, saw his curling free-kick from some 25 yards clip the post on it’s way past Queen’s keeper Declan Brown.

Just after the half-hour mark the Belfast men should have equalised when Corrigan’s teasing free-kick into the Stute six yard box found an unmarked Daniel Hanna but he fired well over with the goal at his mercy.

Right on the stroke of half-time the tie was all but ended when Dunne cut in from the left before his clever finish caught out Brown.

On 55 minutes Gallagher was called into action again this time he did well to race off his line to deny Corrigan, after the midfielder had got into the six yard box after getting away from a few challenges.

Moments later Deery made two changes with Brown and Shane McGinty replacing Mills and Ciaron Harkin and they went close to adding a third on 69 minutes, but Brown’s strike was kept out by the Students keeper.

The visitors continued to press forward looking for a third and as the tie entered the final quarter the ex-Cliftonville keeper had to make two super saves to deny both McGinty and Brennan.

In the closing stages Gallagher had to be alert to ensure he kept a clean-sheet when he tipped over substitute Conor Mulholland’s snap-shot from the right hand side of the box.

Queen’s: Brown, McGonigle, Prenter, McIlwaine, McManus, Corrigan, Allison, Hanna, Lavery, Stuart, Hughes. Subs: Byrne for Lavery (H-T); Mulholland & McDonald for Hanna & Stuart (60).

Institute: Gallagher, O’Donnell, Scoltock, McDermott; Brennan, Jarvis, A Harkin, C Harkin, Dunne; Hume, Mills. Subs: McCauley for Scoltock (H-T); McGinty & Brown for C Harkin & Mills (63).

Referee: Mr A Burns (Portadown).