INSTITUTE: Deery’s men win on penalties

Defender Stephen O'Donnell gave Institute a half-time lead.
Defender Stephen O'Donnell gave Institute a half-time lead.

Institute were taken all the way to penalties before finally seeing off ten men Newtowne and reach the Irish Cup fifth round.

Kevin Deery’s side dominated possesion but in the end Newtowne’s Daryl Mullan missed a spot-kick in the shoot-out and meant Stute secured a 5-4 win.

Although the Waterside men had a lot of the ball, it was Mickey Burns’ side who probably had the better chances on the counter attack and in Conor McCloskey they had a player who showed great bottle in the shoot-out, doing a ‘Panenka’ to give his side an early lead, but in the end it was penalty shoot-out heartache for the Limavady team.

The Drumahoe club started well and had a super chance on seven minutes after Gareth Brown created some space inside the box, but blasted over from close range, with only Newtowne goalkeeper Dean McInness to beat.

After that early chance the visitors went close themselves on 22 minutes but Conor McCloskey’s goalbound strike from 10 yards was superbly blocked by Stute defender Ryan Morrow.

Institute did take the lead on 24 minutes after Aaron Harkin’s left wing corner found Stephen O’Donnell at the back post and the big centre-back headed home from 12 yards.

The woodwork came to Stute’s rescue on 39 minutes when Paul McIvor’s strike, which had goalkeeper Martin Gallagher beaten, came crashing back off the crossbar.

Institute went close to increasing their lead on 60 minutes when substitute Sean Roddy saw his curling free-kick from 25 yards come back off the bar.

Newtowne drew level six minutes after Ruairi Hassan turned the ball home after his inital shot was only half stopped by Gallagher.

Virtually straight away the Limavady men were reduced to ten men when Rory O’Reilly was shown a straight red card by referee John Deighan, after he tussled with Jamie Dunne.

The ten men should have taken the lead moments later but after breaking the offside trap McIvor saw his tame effort easily saved by Gallagher.

On 72 minutes a Roddy cross found fellow substitute Garbhan Friel, but his header sailed just wide.

Right at the death Roddy had a good half chance to win it, but his volley with his weaker left foot flew well over.

In the first minute of extra-time McInness was called into action when at full stretch he did well to push away Friel’s curling effort.

McInness was in the thick of it again on 97 minutes this time he didn’t know much about how he kept out Gareth Brown’s close range strike.

Neither side really created much in the second half of extra-time, as it was a case of the ten men all working hard to ensure they took the tie to pens.

Institute: Gallagher, Morrow (Roddy 60), O’Donnell, Scoltock, Curry; McIntyre (Friel H-T), McCauley, A Harkin (C Harkin H-T), Dunne; Brown, Armstrong.

Newtowne: McInness, O’Reilly, Hasson, Donnell, Mullan, McGregor, McCloskey, Twist, C Logue (Kelly 60), McIvor, R Logue (King 102).

Referee: Mr John Deighan (Limavady).