Institute book Craig Memorial Cup final spot

Institute's Gareth Brown helped himself to a brace in their win over Wakehurst.
Institute's Gareth Brown helped himself to a brace in their win over Wakehurst.

Institute easily booked their place in the Craig Memorial Cup Final, with an comfortable 4-0 win over Wakehurst.

The Drumahoe men produced a professional display to set-up a Boxing Day showdown with North West neighbours Limavady United, at Tobermore.

Institute started on the front foot and they should have taken the lead on five minutes after Jordan Armstrong’s right wing cross found Jamie Dunne at the back post, but the winger’s sliding effort flashed wide.

Minutes later Shane McGinty’s pass released Dunne, but his close range strike from the left hand side of the box was superbly kept out by Wakehurst goalkeeper Marc Maybin.

The deadlock was finally broken on 17 minutes after McGinty was upended inside the box and referee Diarmuid Harrigan pointed to the spot, from which Ciaran Harkin made no mistake firing home from 12 yards.

Institute doubled their advantage on 26 minutes after Gareth Brown showed great composure to calmly lob Maybin from the edge of the box.

This tie was over on 34 minutes when Stute added a third in rather fortunate circumstances when Aaron Harkin’s miss hit effort from close range somehow went into the net, after Dunne’s corner wasn’t cleared properly.

Wakehurst were given a chance to get back into the tie when Darryl McDermott upended Diarmuid Larkin inside the box, but Tiernan Rafferty’s resulting penalty was superbly kept out by a diving Michael Lynch.

Institute went close twice in quick succession at the start of the second half; firstly Aaron Harkin’s close range header was kept out by Maybin and then soon after Dunne flashed an effort wide.

Kevin Deery’s side added a fourth on 77 minutes when McGinty’s low centre picked out an unmarked Brown and he tapped home his second goal of the game.

Institute: Lynch, Morrow, Scoltock, McDermott, McKeever; C Harkin (McCauley H-T), A Harkin, McGinty; Dunne, Armstrong, Brown.

Wakehurst: Maybin, Ross, Price, Walker, Swann, Muir, Gilmore, Laughlin, Rafferty, Larkin, Elliot.

Referee: Mr Diarmuid Harrigan.