Five star Institute

Institute's Darren McFadden fires home past Loughgall goalkeeper Garth Buchannan. Picture by Margaret McLaughlin
Institute's Darren McFadden fires home past Loughgall goalkeeper Garth Buchannan. Picture by Margaret McLaughlin

Institute deservedly seen off a spirited Loughgall side 5-1 to book their place in the Irish Cup sixth round.

Loughgall took the lead on 12 minutes when Stephen Ferguson turned the ball home from close range after ex-Stute Warner Mullan had created the chance, firing in a low centre from the left into the six yard.

The visitors continued to push forward in search of second but Wesley Boyle’s 20 yard drive was tipped over by Stute keeper Marty Gallagher, after the Villagers’ pressure high up the field resulted in the home side losing possession.

After those early scares Institute went close to equalising when a flowing move ended with Darren McFadden’s back-flick finding Robbie Hume, but the in-form goalscorer saw his close range shot take a deflection off Ross Black, before flashing wide.

Institute levelled things on 24 minutes when Peter Bradley’s header down the left wing found Hume, who beat his marker inside the box before feeding the ball into McFadden and the big striker blasted home with his weaker right foot from six yards.

Aaron Patterson was the next man to test Gallagher when his long range strike had to be parried away by a fully stretched Stute keeper.

Institute took the lead on 51 minutes after a super counter-attack ended with McFadden finding Stephen Curry, who picked the ball up on the half-way line, he ran some 35 yards before getting some space inside the box and he drilled the ball home into Garth Buchanan’s bottom right hand corner.

Soon after the Druamhoe club scored a third when Hume’s knock down found Dwayne McManus and his low drive took a deflection and wrong footed Buchanan.

On 56 minutes a super defence splitting pass by McFadden released Hume, but with only Buchanan to beat, he shot wide from the left hand side of the box.

Just before the hour mark referee Ian McNabb pointed to the spot after Buchanan had upended McFadden inside the box; McManus made no mistake with the resulting penalty, firing high into Buchanan’s left hand corner.

On 72 minutes a Curry cross found Hume and his close range header which had Buchanan beaten, hit the crossbar.

A minute later Institute scored their fifth and final goal of the tie when Aaron Walsh blasted home from close range, after the midfielder broke the offside trap.

Loughgall were fuming that the goal stood and Buchanan took his protests too far and was shown a straight red card by referee McNabb, which then resulted in striker Mullan having to dawn the goalkeeper’s jersey for the remainder of the game.

Institute: Gallagher, Crown, McLaughlin, O’Donnell, Bradley; Forker (McKeever 76), Walsh, McManus (Young 70); S Curry, McFadden (Burke 80), Hume.

Loughgall: Buchanan, Carson, Black (Clarke 70), Copeland, Stewart, Dallas, Ferguson, Reynolds, Boyle, Mullan, Patterson (Ferry 60).

Referee: Mr Ian McNabb (Newtownabbey).