Action packed weekend for MCA

editorial image

MAIDEN City Academy have another successful weekend when the U14, 13 and U10 had wins over Institute, Warrenpoint and Limavady United respectively.

The U14 side were the highest scores on Saturday beating Institute 4-1, however their win was slightly marred with the news that Liam Walsh will be missing for a number of weeks with an ankle ligament injury.

Maiden City Academy U14...4

Institute U14...1

MCA started the brighter on Saturday at Lisnagelvin with some good attacking play but couldn’t find that final pass to open the scoring.

It wasn’t until midway through the first half that they took the lead, when they earned a free-kick on the left and Alex Carolan drove the towards the net and it squirmed under the keeper.

’Stute responded well and equalised when a good save from Toraigh McConnell was followed in by ’Stute’s centre-forward.

MCA retook the lead somehow fortuously when a shot by Brown hit a ’Stute hand and a penalty was given. Brown converted the resulting penalty.

After the break MCA kept the pressure on ’Stute, but again the final ball was letting them down.

MCA did make it three when a crooss from the left came off a ’Stute head and looped over the keeper. With five minutes remaining David Parkhouse made it 4-1 when played through he showed good strength before firing home.

Best for MCA on the day was Matthew Duffy and Sam McDermott and all at MCA would like to wish Liam Walsh a speedy recovery from an ankle ligament injury.

Maiden City Academy U13...3

Warrenpoint U13...1

Maiden City U13’s made the away trip to Mallusk for the second week running to take on Warrenpoint.

MCA got off to a sluggish start and were fortunate not to go behind in the opening minutes. Shane Wallace made an uncustomary error in goals but Warrenpoint failed to captilize. Ian Maxwell showed brilliant defensive awareness clearing the ball off the line to deny Warrenpoint the opening goal.

The early missed opportunities were to prove costly for Warrenpoint. City started to create a number of good chances themselves with Cian Catney, the City captain, displaying silky skills and vision. Josh Green and Odhran McCrossan got to grips with the midfield area and with the frontline of Jack Doherty, Oran McGill, Justin McGee and Eoghan Crilly all looking lively, it looked inevitable that City would score. The opening goal came following a terrific move involving midfield pairing Josh Green and Odhran McCrossan. The man from Strabane skilfully eluded three Warrenpoint defenders and powered his way into the box playing an inch perfect pass to Josh Green who coolly slotted the ball into the corner of the net.

City sought to capitalise and extend their lead Jack Doherty struck an excellent free kick from 30 yards only to see his effort go narrowly wide. Warrenpoint found it difficult to create any goalscoring opportunities with man of the match Ewan McGrath, Jack McCloskey and Adam Doherty on top form.

For City’s second goal, Justin McGee put the Warrenpoint defender under pressure resulting in the defender misplacing his pass beyond his own goalkeeper, McGee made sure the ball crossed the line to continue his goalscoring streak.

With City well on top, Odhran McCrossan combined again with Josh Green who made no mistake firing home this time with his left foot giving the opposing keeper no chance.

The second half saw the introduction of all City’s substitutes. It began with Warrenpoint dominating. Shane Wallace showed his true potential by pulling off three point blank saves. He could do nothing to prevent Warrenpoint pulling a goal back when he was left completely exposed by his defence. City appeared to believe that the game was over at half-time and were lucky to survive Warrenpoint’s attempts to draw level.

City made a few substitutions in an attempt to consolidate their lead. Ethan Coll, Adam Gillespie and Ryan Higgins provided stability. Ethan Coll was unlucky not to have scored having rounded the keeper, only to be denied by a combination of a Warrenpoint defender and a City midfielder.

The game ended with City unable to increase their goal tally. The game was played in excellent spirit with both teams deserving credit for the sporting manner in which it was played.

Credit also to the excellent refereeing of Eamonn Hughes who kept players and supporters in line.

MCA: Shane Wallace, Jack McCloskey, Ian Maxwell, Ewan McGrath, Adam Doherty, Eoghan Crilly, Josh Green, Odhran McCrossan, Jack Doherty, Cian Catney, Oran McGill. Subs: Justin McGee, Ethan Coll, Ryan Higgins, Adam Gillespie, Michael Kelly (all used).

Maiden City Academy U10...3

Limavady U10...1 

Maiden City travelled to Ballysally to take on Limavady in the North West Coleraine and District Youth League and what was a very cold morning and the game was played on a very hard and frozen surface which was difficult to play football on.

City took the lead in the first half Gavin Melaugh corner was cleared only to find him again and he whipped the ball in to find the feet of Alex McNeil to poke the ball in the Limavady keepers bottom corner to make it 1-0.

Limavady looked dangerous when they attacked and came very close to equalising as one of their midfielder’s attempted a thunderous only to be denied by the underside of the crossbar. Maiden City came close to doubling their lead as they made a swift counter attack Oran O’Doherty got his shot away but only thing between him and scoring was the post.

City did double their lead soon after with some excellent passing it eventually came to Jack Harkin who played in a quality ball to Callum Deery who’s first shot came off the post but he followed that in to convert and make it 2-0 at half-time to Maiden City. Limavady came out of the blocks quickly in the second half and applied good pressure on Maiden City defence but City did cope very well and defending was outstanding and Ruairi Graham also pulled off good saves but Limavady did pull a goal as they got a shot in from outside the box which found the bottom corner to make it 2-1. City reacted very well too the goal and continued to play good football and threaten the Limavady goal and were unfortunate at times not to score.

Maiden City did get their third goal as Gavin Melaugh played in a superb cross from a corner to find Oran O’Doherty at near post with a exceptional header that ended up in the far corner certainly a contender for goal of the season.

The game finished 3-1 to Maiden City but credit too both sides as they both played very good passing attacking football on what was a very difficult surface to play on as the pitch was frozen.

This performance goes up their as one of best this season and everyone involved deserves credit it shows how far and well the team has come on since week one.

MCA: Ruairi Graham, Sam Caithness, Alex McNeil, Jack King, Gavin Melaugh, Ben O’Kane, Luke Nicell, Jack Harkin, Cameron Murray, Oran O’Doherty, Dylan Orr, Callum Deery.