Prince Philip dies aged 99 confirms Buckingham Palace

Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, has passed away, Buckingham Palace has confirmed.

Friday, 9th April 2021, 3:18 pm
Prince Philip.

The duke was 99 years-old.

"It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen announces the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

"His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle.

"Further announcements will made in due course.

"The Royal Family join with people around the world in mourning his loss," said a spokesperson for Buckingham Palace.

Foyle MP Colum Eastwood said: "My sympathies are with Queen Elizabeth and her family today following the death of a loved husband, father and grandfather. This is an immensely difficult time for them, compounded by the restrictions which have made saying goodbye so difficult for people and families across our islands.

“I also send my sincere condolences to people in communities across Northern Ireland who feel a special connection and affinity with Prince Phillip and the royal family. Over the last year we have lost people who we respect, cherish and admire. We understand your pain and feel the weight of your loss today.

“The people of these islands are joined together by our common history and shared experiences of historic conflict. Phillip and his family were directly affected by the conflict on this island and between these islands. I want to acknowledge the role that he played alongside Queen Elizabeth in building relationships and promoting reconciliation, most visibly during their recent visit to Ireland. He had a part to play in sustaining the new bond of shared endeavour across these islands.

“This will be a difficult moment for many in our community. It is important that we all respect that and continue to work together to heal the divisions of our past and build a more united community.”

On behalf of the Northern Ireland Executive, First Minister Arlene Foster and deputy First Minister Michelle O’Neill have expressed their sympathies following the death of the Duke of Edinburgh

First Minister Arlene Foster said: “I am deeply saddened by the news of the death of His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh. It is a sadness that I know will shared by countless others in Northern Ireland and right across the world.

“Prince Philip was widely respected for his active and dedicated service to the country and for his steadfast support to Her Majesty the Queen throughout her reign.

“He had a strong interest in Northern Ireland and I had the privilege of meeting him on a number of his many visits here.

“He had a profound and positive impact on thousands of our young people who found their purpose, passion and place in the world through participation in the Duke of Edinburgh Awards.

“This inspirational programme is just one example of the many charities and voluntary organisations in which he was involved in right up to his retirement from public service at the age of 96.

“I offer my deepest sympathies and condolences to Her Majesty the Queen and to the other members of the Royal family at this sad time.”

Deputy First Minister, Michelle O’Neill said: “I wish to extend my sincere condolences to Queen Elizabeth and her family on the death of her husband Prince Philip.

“Over the past two decades there have been significant interventions by the British Royal family to assist in the building of relationships between Britain and Ireland

“It is appropriate that this contribution to the advancement of peace and reconciliation is rightly recognised.

“To all those of a unionist tradition and of British identity - those who value and cherish the Royal family - I wish to acknowledge the sense of loss felt.”