Two no warning bombs initiated but didn’t go off

A police officer outside the scene of the security alert  near the gates to the rear of Caw Army Camp, pictured in the background.
A police officer outside the scene of the security alert near the gates to the rear of Caw Army Camp, pictured in the background.

Londonderry’s top police 
officer says two no-warning bombs placed outside Caw Camp partially initiated but failed to explode on Sunday night.

Chief Inspector Tony Callaghan said those responsible were “reckless” and had endangered people’s lives.

Several residents in the Rockport Park and Caw Park area had to be evacuated from their homes during the course of Bank Holiday Monday as a result of the incident.

Following the discovery of two bags, left near a fence at the Limavady Road Army Reserve Centre, ATO were tasked, and a number of homes in the area of Rockport Park and Caw Park evacuated.

ATO examined the bags and discovered two improvised explosive devices (IEDs), which have now been made safe.

Chief Inspector Tony Callaghan said: “These devices had the capacity to kill or maim and our enquiries are underway into how and when they were left at this location.

“The IEDs which were contained within the two bags have now been taken away for forensic examination.

“An initial examination of CCTV footage in the area would indicate that the devices partially initiated at around 11.35pm last night, but failed to fully explode.

“No warning was received by police and with the close proximity of homes nearby, this was truly a reckless act which endangered local people’s lives.

“I would appeal to anyone who noticed any suspicious activity in the area recently or who has any information which may help police with our enquiries to contact officers at Strand Road on 101. Information can also be given anonymously through the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”

DUP MLA Gary Middleton said elderly residents were left disoriented after being evacuated following the bomb alert.

“I’ve just come from leaving two residents, who are in their eighties, to the Foyle Arena. Both had Alzheimer’s, their routine has been badly upset by the alert,” he said.

Sinn Féin’s Raymond McCartney condemned those responsible.

He said: “This security alert has achieved absolutely nothing other than bringing disruption to the local community on a bank holiday.

“A number of local residents, including elderly members of our community have had to be evacuated from their homes as a result of this incident.”

“Those responsible need to reflect on the fact that the vast majority of people in this city have moved on and do not want this.

“Derry has made great progress in recent years and we will not allow a tiny minority of people to drag us back to the past.

“They need to listen to the community and stop these futile actions immediately.”