Over 200 people gathered in Monreagh Presbyterian Church on Sunday, April 12, for a very special service, to ordain and install six new elders.
Monreagh Presbyterian Church is one of the oldest in Ireland, dating back to 1644.
The earliest Presbyterians, from the Lowlands of Scotland, initially met for the worship of God in a primitive man made shelter.
A large engraved stone marks this site, which is around a third of a mile from the present building.
In the opening years of the eighteenth century the present building was constructed.
At this old and historic building, where generations of Presbyterians have met for worship across the centuries, new leaders, chosen by the congregation, were incorporated into the life and witness of a widely respected East Donegal church community.
The service, which was arranged and conducted by a Commission of the Derry and Donegal Presbytery, was characterised by lively singing, under the direction of organist, Mrs Winnie McCracken.
An inspirational anthem by the church choir entitled, ‘Lord you have come to the Lakeside’ was enjoyed by everyone.
The six new elders ordained and installed to the pastoral oversight of Monreagh Presbyterian Church are Sarah Hunter, Jean Long, Ronald McClintock, Margo Rankin, John Vance and Ian McCracken.
Immediately after the service everyone was entertained to a delicious afternoon tea by the ladies in the Old School.