Man bailed into care after 5 hour stand off

editorial image

The top police officer in Londonderry says a five hour stand off involving specialist police units and a distressed man holed up in a John Street flats complex was a “fluid and delicate” operation.

A man in his thirties was detained in Londonderry following the prolonged operation involving police and other emergency services on Monday.

He was later released on bail into medical care.

Chief Inspector Tony Callaghan, the Foyle Area Commander, praised the emergency services for their professionalism and the public for its patience.

The incident began at about 2.30pm when police became aware of a man in a distressed state in a flat at John Street, which is close to Craigavon Bridge.

The Chief Inspector said: “This was a fluid and very delicate situation. We had concerns for the man involved and our priority was to take every step possible to ensure that no harm came to the individual, or to anyone else in the proximity.

“I am very pleased that the situation has been resolved without harm to anyone.

“I want to pay tribute to all of the police officers and members of the other emergency services who were involved in the operation. It was not an easy one, but their professionalism and training were key elements in producing the outcome that we saw tonight.

“I also want to thank people in the community, their leaders, the city council and health and social care professionals for the support they have given us.

“I appreciate the patience of all concerned, not least the residents of the area and the general public, and, despite the length of the operation, I hope they understand the police service is focussed on keeping people safe.”

Officers deployed to the scene and over a period of several hours were joined by emergency services colleagues from the fire and ambulance services.

People living in the flats and in other nearby properties were moved from their homes and alternative accommodation was provided by Derry City Council.

Police had concerns for the welfare of a resident of one of the flats and officers spoke to him by telephone.