After over 20 years of lobbying, tomorrow, Wednesday, formal plans for the £800,000 development of Kilfennan Valley Park will be launched.
It is understood two junior Ministers from the Office of the First and Deputy First Minister will be in the Waterside tomorrow to formally launch the next stage of the process, and hopes are high locally that the works will be completed well before the end of the year.
Under the scheme, Kilfennan Valley Park will undergo a facelift, creating extensive sport and play facilities for the use of the community.
According to DUP councillor, Drew Thompson, who has been campaigning for action to improve the amenity for decades, planning permission was granted over two years ago to create a MUGA pitch and toddlers’ play park, as well as generally upgrade the area.
The money that was put forward for the Social Investment Fund programme was £9.95 million. The plans slipped out of priority status, but were re-instated, and Mr Thompson said everyone in the district was delighted that the announcement would be formalised tomorrow.
“The park will get about £800,000 or £900,000, and we will have a play park and MUGA. Its great news. It has been in need of upgrading for years. It is great news for the area. This upgrade is just part of te great work that is being done in areas across the city and will greatly enhance the place facilities of the district,” he said.
Co-ordinator at Caw Nelson Drive Action Group, Linda Watson, said the park had been in need of upgrading for 25 years or more.
“Over a year ago we staged a protest about the state of the play park here. Really the area between Maggie Murphy’s Lane along Sperrin Park and up to Kinsale Park at Caw is in need of up-grading.
“Funding like this will allow us to put in a floodlit MUGA pitch, upgrade the football pitch and have a dedicated play park for toddlers and juniors with interactive play equipment. We are over the moon about this decision. There are four play parks that will be up-graded and we are one of them. It is fantastic,” she said, adding: “We are now waiting for the letter of offer from Derry City Council. That will then go out to tender and we are hoping that work will start later this year. This work is badly needed; it is going to be such a big thing for this area. It is going to be fantastic.”