A set of eight leather bound books containing the names of over 49.000 Irishmen, who lost their lives in the First World War, is on display in St Columb’s Cathedral.
Known as ‘Ireland’s Memorial Records 1914-1918’ the Cathedral’s books are one of only 100 sets, published in 1923, of which only 35 sets can now be traced.
The oak cabinet in which the volumes are displayed was recently re-furbished through the generosity of Robert Jackson, formerly of The Fountain, now living in Yorkshire.
Both the War Records and a bass drum with a rich historical past were dedicated at the Remembrance Sunday Service at St Colum’s Cathedral. The Royal Irish Regiment, an infantry regiment of the British Army, was founded in 1992 through the amalgamation of the Royal Irish Rangers and the Ulster Defence Regiment. Their oldest predecessor, the 27th Regiment of Foot, was first raised in June 1689 to fight in the Williamite War in Ireland. Other notable regiments in their lineage include the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers and the Royal Irish Rifles.
The 5th Battalion was one of the Home Service battalions disbanded in July 2007. It now comprises the 1st (General Service Battalion} and the 2nd (Army Reserve) Battalion.
The bass drum from the regimental band was kindly donated by Robert Craig and will be displayed in the Chapter House.