PART of Londonderry’s historic City Factory building is to be turned into a restaurant under a new proposal lodged with the local planning office.
Alex Properties Ltd. has applied for permission to build a new entrance to the old shirt factory building from Queen Street.
The plan is also to change the use of the ground floor from education use to a restaurant.
Back in the 1853 Paisley-born Peter McIntyre started a new shirt factory business in Foyle Street with erstwhile Tillie and Henderson’s manager William Hogg.
In 1864 McIntyre, Hogg & Co moved to the City Factory in Queen Street, to which the new restaurant plan applies.
The building will host a performance of Frank McGuinness’ ‘The Factory Girls’ as part of the Londonderry UK city of culture 2013 programme in April.