Boyd inspires Villagers

Eglinton striker Ryan Twist lines up a shot at goal during their match against Ardmore on Saturday. INLS1513-115KM
Eglinton striker Ryan Twist lines up a shot at goal during their match against Ardmore on Saturday. INLS1513-115KM

WITH this 3-0 win, Eglinton moved a step closer to clinching the Premier Division title.

The Villagers scored late in both halves to over come a spirited ten men Ardmore side, who will feel the dismissal of Eddie McIntrye changed the game.

In fairness the midfielder was in the thick of things during the early stages, before his sending off because of an off the ball incident, but in truth Damien McGee’s side never really tested Eglinton keeper Joe Robertson on too many occasions.

McIntyre had the first chance after just two minutes, but the talented midfielder, who reacted quickly to a mis hit clearance, saw his left footed drive from the edge of the box flash just over Robertson’s bar.

Then the turning point of the match came when referee Colin McDaid, who in fairness had a good game, showed McIntyre a straight red card for an off the ball incident, despite the visitors protests the former Limavady United man had to walk.

Just after the mid-way point of the half Eglinton went close when Adrian O’Kane broke the offside trap and his left wing centre across the Ardmore six yard box was tipped away by keeper Ritchie Stewart and Mark Duffy while on the stretch was unable to turn home the loose ball.

The ten men missed a glorious chance to break the deadlock on 33 minutes when Raymond Rogan failed to score with the goal at his mercy as Robertson diving low to his left saved at his near post.

Eglinton took the lead right on the stroke of half-time following a slick move.

Substitute Johnny Hume got in behind right back Anthony Hargan, before cutting the ball back to an unmarked James Boyd and he gleefully side footed home from just inside the Ardmore box, past a flat footed Stewart.

Early in the second half some neat set-up play by Johnny Brothers saw him create a chance for Ryan Twist, but the Eglinton’s man well hit effort was superbly saved by Stewart.

On 54 minutes Eglinton left-back Adrian O’Kane saw his right footed shot from the edge of the box take a deflection off Eugene Ferry, but Stewart was alert to calmly save.

Ardmore went close to equalising on 71 minutes when Barry Gormley’s snap-shot from 10 yards was well held by Robertson.

Minutes later Eglinton substitute Paul McIvor broke clear of the Ardmore defence before side stepping the out-rushing Stewart and his cut-back from an acute angle found Boyd, but while under pressure from Hargan, the striker with the goal open failed to hit the target.

Eglinton ended the game as a contest two minutes from time with Ardmore pushing forward in search of a leveller, Hume broke the offside trap before coolly slotting the ball between the out-rushing Stewart’s legs.

Then deep into stoppage time Boyd netted his second of the game when he made no mistake from close range after some good set-up play by sub Barry Murray had created the clear-cut chance.

Eglinton: Joe Robertson, Kieran McGlinchey, Adrian O’Kane, Shaun Whoriskey, Martin Smith, Mark Duffy, Gavin McShane, James Boyd, Ryan Twist, Ryan Barr, Johnny Brothers. Subs: Johnny Hume for Barr (36); Paul McIvor for Brothers (69); Barry Murray for Duffy (83).

Ardmore: Richie Stewart, Anthony Hargan, Daniel Doherty, Eugene Ferry, Joe McCallion; Eddie McIntyre, Kevlin McCallion, Barry Gormley, Sandy Gillespie, Gareth Brown, Raymond Rogan. Subs: Marcus O’Kane for Gillespie (56); Peter McLaughlin for Brown (58); Nathan McNerlin for McCallion (63).

Referee: Mr Colin McDaid.

Cautioned: Brown (12); McGlinchey (38); McCallion (62).

Sent-off: McIntyre (11).