DCSIMG

‘Proxy bombers have no regard’

The scene at Northland Road after a suspicious object was left on board a bus last month. DER4713JM100

The scene at Northland Road after a suspicious object was left on board a bus last month. DER4713JM100

  • by Kevin Mullan
 

Justice Minister David Ford says those responsible for a series of attempted proxy bomb attacks in Londonderry have shown a total disregard for human life.

He said he continues to regularly meet the Chief Constable Matt Baggott and the Secretary of State Theresa Villiers to discuss such concerns and that he expects a hiked police presence in the weeks up to Christmas.

DUP MLA Gregory Campbell asked the Minister - in light of the Londonderry incidents - whether he’d met with the Chief Constable regarding the attacks.

He replied: “Those who are responsible for these attacks have shown a total disregard for human life, particularly of the drivers who have been forced to transport devices. Whilst issues relating to national security are primarily matters for the Secretary of State, I meet both the Chief Constable and the Secretary of State on a regular basis to discuss the security situation.”

He said the last formal meeting was held on November 27, though he has also spoken to the Chief Constable on a number of occasions recently.

“It is not for me to comment on specific operational steps being taken to counter such attacks,” he stated.

“I can say, however, that the police and other agencies are working hard to protect the public and to bring the perpetrators and planners of such attacks to justice,” he added.

He referred to the Chief Constable’s public avowal recently there will be a significantly increased policing presence on the streets over the next few weeks.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page