The refusal on Friday last by Planners to adopt any of the alternative proposals put forward by Dunfield Terrace residents has left feeling disappointed.
They were also shocked to discover that the proposal to build a block of 17 units and a separate block with a further three housing units, will not be exclusively for social housing, as had been the original proposal.
In the attached vido, Chairwoman of the Residents’ Association, Felicity McCall said the outcome arrived at had been in spite of written submissions, drawings, photographs and support from a broad range of environmental, tourism and cultural bodies and cross-party support from elected representatives: “The Planners have told us that this is outside their remit to consider any such proposals unless they are put by a developer, despite the area being zoned for opportunity and not housing. We question whether the fact that approval was given for a small housing scheme following a public enquiry many years ago has set an irreversible precedent for the site’s future, even though the development was never built.
Still reeling from the outcome of the meeting, she said: “We were also astounded to learn from the developers’ architects that despite written evidence to the contrary, the proposed housing scheme is not for social but for private dwellings. We thank all our supporters across the city and await with interest the outcome of the Planners’ considerations and trust democracy will not be entirely over ruled.”