Lottery winner’s motoring offences

editorial image
0
Have your say

A lottery winner who was detected driving whilst disqualified has appeared before Londonderry Magistrates Court.

Ryan Magee (34), who won over £6 million in the Euromillions lottery in 2008, was ordered to complete a 200-hour Community Service Order. He was also disqualified from driving for five years and fined £250.

The court heard that Magee, of Monnaboy Road, Eglinton, pleaded guilty to driving whilst disqualified and having no insurance on December 4, last year.

District Judge Peter King was told that the 34-year-old was stopped by police while driving a Ford Focus across the Foyle Bridge.

He was told that when cautioned for the offences Ryan replied “Yep that’s right”.

It was revealed that Magee was disqualified from driving for 18 months in August 2014.

Defence counsel Eoghan Devlin said his client’s life could be best summed up by saying every silver lining had a cloud.

He said Magee had suffered a number of personal misfortunes which had “left him not quite back at square one but several steps behind square one”.

District Judge King said the 34-year-old had an absolutely appalling driving record and he was a menace on the roads.

The judge said the fact that Magee was driving five months after a disqualification was imposed caused him huge concern.

He said he was imposing the 200-hour Community Service Order as a direct alternative to custody and also banned Magee from driving for a period of five years.