Four underground finds at Ebrington ‘not significant’

Ongoing work on a multi storey underground car park beside Ebrington Square. (DER3113PG067)

Ongoing work on a multi storey underground car park beside Ebrington Square. (DER3113PG067)

  • by Kevin Mullan

Ilex has confirmed four subterranean structures discovered during the construction of an underground car park at Ebrington, were not of particular archaeological or historic interest.

A water tank; stone wall and foundations; reinforced concrete wall; and foundations for a reinforced concrete wall, were recently unearthed during works, the Sentinel has learned.

Interim Chief Executive, Mel Higgins, advised the Ilex board in September that the car park completion date was revised following the discovery. Minutes state that “spend will fall into next year and slippage has impacted on funding, however we will accelerate other projects.”

An spokeperson told the Sentinel the structures were assessed by an archaeologist and the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA) but were not thought to have been of historical significance.

The spokesperson said the items didn’t date earlier than 1875 when the Ebrington site underwent an extension in the vicinity of their discovery.

From 1875 onwards the Army acquired the land were the car park is currently being constructed from a Mr Bond, allowing the extension of the barracks outside the old star fort area. Two married quarters were erected. One of these - the Cunningham building - remains. The development of the £6.5m underground car park commenced earlier this year.
Planning permission has already been achieved for the Cunningham Building but its development cannot proceed until the car park is finished due to service access issues.




Back to the top of the page