A Planning Appeals Commission (PAC) hearing on Alex Attwood’s refusal of a £50m mixed use proposal at the former Desmond and Sons site in Drumahoe, was due to open as the Sentinel went to press on Tuesday (March 25).
The PAC says the applicant, D&A Properties Ltd. asked it to arrange a meeting to discuss the DoE’s notice of opinion to refuse the application in December 2012.
Former Planning Minister Alex Attwood deflated hopes that the site would be transformed into a £50m complex incorporating an ice rink, cinema, bowling alley, soccer dome, restaurants, retail units and health care facilities, when he gave a notice of opinion to refuse over a year ago.
Mr Attwood said he was refusing the application as “there (was) an impact on other retail centres along with traffic impact issues.”
Last month the Sentinel reported an application by two major property companies to create a massive housing development at the Desmond site. Lagmar Properties Ltd. wants to build 179 units in total (both detached and semi-detached) with associated landscaping and vehicular access.
The company is a joint venture between the Lagan Group and MAR Properties Ltd.